Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Five on Friday!



This is my first Five on Friday link up, so I'm pretty stoked. 

This week I've been wanting to write a lot. There is so much on my mind lately and I just find it hard to find the time to write about it. So here are all the short versions: 

1. Cancer has snuck out of it's evil hole full force recently and it sucks. I know 2 women right now that are suffering from cancer. The Boy's grandma has lung cancer. She is such an independently strong woman that she's having a very hard time with her diagnosis. The other women is a great family friend (my parent's best friends) and she has been having an on-going battle with a glioblastoma tumor (which is in the brain) for the passed couple of months. Oh, and she is a breast cancer survivor, which is has about 7 years ago. Watching these strong women go through such a vicious disease, really makes me realize that I cannot take my health for granted and that with one doctor's appointment, everything can change. 


2. School is approaching and I'm still a tad frustrated. My mom is coming to help me in my classroom Monday, so I hope to get a lot done there. I'm such a planner, that not knowing the first week's schedule or spelling words is driving me B-A-N-A-N-A-S!!!!


3. The future. And everything that comes with it. It's a little scary. How do I know if I'm ready to get married? Buy a house? Move out (or in) with The Boy. Any suggestions?? I sometimes still feel 18 even though I get told I still look it all the time. Speaking of The Boy, in November (we think) we will have been together for 4 years!! That's a frickin' long ass time. That's crazy!!! Longer than any of my other relationships and frankly, longer than I ever thought we'd last, but I'm so thankful that it has. He is one very lucky guy (as I say) and The Boy says I am one very lucky girl. Safe to say, I think we're meant for each other. What are some 'big' questions you wished you would have talked about before moving in together or getting married? The Boy doesn't like to have conversations about serious things (though we've had some), so I know we need to work on communicating about (money, the future, etc.) those things better. However, communication is something I feel can always be improved.

4. I've been really thinking about going gluten free lately. Has anyone read Wheat Belly? I'm still having stomach issues and I'm not buying the whole "you just have IBS" business. The only thing with this is that it'll take time and planning on my part. I would have to research things I can and cannot eat and make a meal calendar, so I know what I'm eating when, so I don't cheat. I'm not sure how long I'll do this for, but I want to try it at least for a month. Is any gluten-free and if so, what are some of your favorite recipes and resources for it?

5. I need a vacation. I haven't been on one in I can't even remember and that's not a good sign a very long time. I've been looking on Groupon Getaways page, Living Social Escapes page and my new favorite vacation deal spot, Jetsetter. I wanted to go somewhere this summer, but with school starting in 2 weeks, it's not going to happen, so I'm hoping spring break time? I'm crossing my fingers! 
Turks and Caicos
 Turks and Caicos
Take me there now!!!


I'm looking forward to reading some of y'alls Five on Friday topics and possibly meeting some new friends!


5 comments:

  1. I've never read wheat belly, I actually have celiac so didn't see the point, but I would be the first to say that cutting out gluten (in a healthy way) seems to help a lot of people feel better so I would definitely say give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to Turks and Caicos. It looks so peaceful there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked at your stomach post. Last year, I had a similar problem, and experimented for a few weeks cutting things out of my diet. When I did make it to the doctor and told them what I'd done, they ran tests, said everything looked perfect and called it "stress/anxiety". Apparently there's more nerves in your "gut" than anywhere else in your body and that's where stress can cause you physical problems (this was during my husband's deployment). Anyway, I was on dicyclomine too. They told me to take it up to 4 times a day before I ate and it made a huge difference.
    Have they done a blood test for celiac? I read just the other day that only 6% of the population has it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that I found your blog!

    My boy hates having serious conversations too - which is hard because he currently lives in another province for work!!! We've been together 5 years and he's slowly getting better.With time, we'll all be pros :)

    And yes, I need a vacation too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Friend! I've missed you! I'm terrible at blogging lately and fankly just want to enjoy my summer. I completely hear you on the classroom thing! I can't even get into my classroom yet! I'm going to try going gluten free for 1 month to see how it goes. If I find any cool resources I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete