Pages

Friday, September 09, 2011

Rantin' kinda night

This week I started my last 5 courses before I student teach in the Winter. Needless to say, I have been so busy that tonight I just wanted to be asleep by 9 pm. 

Well, that's not going to happen. I got home from class at 1:30 this afternoon and played with this lil guy for a bit. 

One of my girlfriends called me and asked if I was in the mood for a margarita. Of course, I said yes! So, me, her and one of our other friends when out for a drink. It was nice to talk with old friends again. (I went to High School with both of them, but we all went to different colleges.)

I noticed something though. We only had one thing in common...old friends and old memories. 

They both have big, adult, real jobs, whereas I'm still in school until next March. My friend C, has a serious boyfriend. My other friend R, doesn't. We were talking about the future, as we usually do, and questions came up of, 'who do you think will get married first?' or 'who do you think will move out first?', those type of questions. As we're answering, I notice how different we've become. A sense of sadness came over me. 

C, one of my best friends, made a comment about maybe never having kids...EVER!? Now, I'm not opposed to people not having children, but 3 years ago, if you had asked C if she wanted kids, she would have said 100% yes! I didn't ask her why she said that tonight. But, then she goes on to say that she will probably get married at 37. This puzzles me, because she has been dating her boyfriend for almost 4 years now, yet she is extremely happy on where she is right now in her life...so I am happy for her!

I mentioned that I hoped to be engaged by 26 and hopefully have children by 28 or 29. She looked at me as if I was crazy! I thought, shouldn't my friends want me to be happy? Or be excited for me? I'm scared that when that time comes, she will disapprove of my decisions or choices. Granted, that is still 4 or 5 years away---a lot can change then! But still....

Anyways, my friend R, was talking about buying a house in a few months....a few MONTHS! We are only 22 years old, yet I am excited for him. I would love to be able to buy a house in this housing market and start decorating and all that fun stuff, but that's not where my life is right now. He does have a fantastic career and he is financially responsible. 

I realized how different our lives are and concluded that this is probably the new normal. I am a bit sad, but content. 





No comments:

Post a Comment